Class reunion 2016

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Christy Robinson

Hi, classmates.

I'm not very excited about it being forty years since we were sprung from Thunderbird. Forty. Shoot, who could even think about being 40 years old back then, much less being those late-50s geezers that come back for alumni weekend? I've been on the TA campus numerous times over the years, including four years as the academy piano teacher, and a couple of recent guest shots talking to the English classes and a chapel service, so it's not the real estate or the institution that gives me chills of delight. But I'm pretty excited about seeing all of you again!

Over the last (gulp) 40 years, I've lived in California several times (Riverside while at La Sierra University, West Covina while working at USC, and Redlands/Loma Linda while working at LLU and La Sierra and The Quiet Hour). I lived in Phoenix from '82 to early '97. I loved traveling when I had the funds: Canada, Australia, New Zealand, UK (5 times), Ireland, Netherlands, Jordan, Ukraine, Russia. And I nipped over to Mexican border shopping when I had foreign guests. My passport has cobwebs now.

I'm an always-single (it seems), so rather than brag about my gorgeous, successful husband and awesome children and grandchildren that I'd have to totally invent, I could talk about my cats. I love my two cats. Oh, wait. You're not interested in hearing about the Crazy Cat Lady' cats?

Alrighty then. Maybe I could brag about my career? Meh, you can read about it at LinkedIn. https://www.linkedin.com/in/christykrobinson But in a nutshell, I bit the big one in the Great Recession when a third of my fellow employees were laid off, and being old and decrepit at 51, I couldn't get a new job to save my life--or my home (sold it) and lifestyle. In 2010, I moved from Redlands, CA to Peoria, AZ, where I took up my old standbys, playing keyboards at churches, teaching piano, and editing book manuscripts and writing website copy for clients.

That year, my first book was published by Review and Herald, and then I began researching and writing my next three books, based on real events and real people. Once those were published, I started my fifth book, a nonfiction genealogy resource and travel guide called Effigy Hunter. It was published in September 2015. I have an idea for a novel, but can't say I've done anything more than planning it. Meanwhile, I use my two popular history blogs and several Facebook sites as platforms for my books.

Family-wise, my brother Brian and his wife moved to Texas last year, and my father, who had several cancers and was part of the reason I moved back to Phoenix, died in 2012. So there's nothing holding me here, except the inability to afford a move without a promised job. It's bare economic survival and worsening allergies. I'm applying for jobs in California, but haven't been invited for an interview.

So there you have it: all the factoids without the pouring out of intimate details. I look forward to learning about what makes you tick, and hearing your funny and sad stories both in this blog and at the reunion party. Bring your phone-camera galleries to show your families and gardens and the people and things you're proud of.

See you at the party or online, or both.
Blessings to you!
Love, Christy

Websites and blogs:
Businesses: http://ChristyKRobinson.com
History: http://MaryBarrettDyer.blogspot.com
History: http://RootingForAncestors.blogspot.com
Devotionals: http://christykrobinson.blogspot.com 
Amazon author page: http://bit.ly/RobinsonAuthor  

Oh, OK, since you twisted my arm, here's a picture of my fur-children.


No comments:

Post a Comment